What is it?
The creation, sharing and possession of sexual images of people under the age of 18 by students. Producing, receiving and distributing photos of this nature is illegal. Blessed Edward Oldcorne Catholic College has clear procedures for dealing with sexting incidents which is informed by the UKCCIS guidance, more information can be found in our safeguarding policy.
What do I need to know?
Youth produced sexual imagery is defined as:
- A person under the age of 18 creates and shares sexual imagery of themselves with a peer under the age of 18
- A person under the age of 18 shares sexual imagery created by another person under the age of 18 with a peer under the age of 18 or an adult
- A person under the age of 18 is in possession of sexual imagery created by another person under the age of 18
What are the potential indicators?
- Change in school performance / lack of concentration
- Sudden or noticeable changes in behaviour
- Changes in peer group / social isolation
- Increased secrecy over mobile phone
- Drop in attendance / refusal to attend school